Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Enjoy!

Strange how often words are used we don't really know what they mean as they are subject to individual definition. Everybody tells me to "enjoy" this or the other (enjoy your meal, enjoy your day, enjoy the ride, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy). I have started to give a provocative answer and often say: "How is that done?"
"How is done what?" most people ask. How is "enjoying" done, I normally reply. Can you explain to me exactly how this famous "enjoying" works? Obviously nobody can give me a user's guide on how to enjoy. The same applies to more statements such as "being proud". How does "being proud" exactly work? Everybody can explain how to walk, how to swim, how to open a file on a computer etc. But people fail if they have to explain how to enjoy or how to be proud (or how to love...). Strange that we use words so much that we obviously can't explain...
My dad once said when we ate an ice cream (I tend to eat them quite fast): You don't enjoy it!
I said: "no? So how do I enjoy it then?". My dad said I would have to just suck off the top layer on the spoon, let it it melt in the mouth, then suck another layer off etc.
My answer: "If that is enjoying, I'd rather just eat it." 

No comments: